From:
Chris Paine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Paine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 1994 10:34:21 EST
    I'd have to agree that Michigan State doesn't deserve to play in Munn.
I sure wouldn't have put them there.  However much Colorado deserved to be in,
I don't think State should have been excluded (for the 2nd year in a row as
the unlucky 13th team).  Least defensible to me is Northeastern, but I all I
know about the East is what I read here.  Lake Superior's seeding is too low,
I think, especially given their possible rematch (the fifth meeting!) with the
Wolverines.   I don't understand the committee's logic for the crossover.  It
doesn't make enough sense to be anything other than money-driven (or just plain
arbitrary).  Why not do it like hoops?  Take the two best, and put them each
in a different region.  Then do the same for the next two, and so on.  Try
to put the better teams in their home region and send the worse teams packing.
Why should MSU and RPI get to be at home and nearly so, respectively?  They
don't deserve this, based on their performance during the season.  Well, maybe
next year they'll actually do something that isn't based as much on the bottom
line (that's $$$ for you in Rio Linda).
     I think we do need a 16-team tournament, but I've thought that for a few
years.  Four teams each at four sites seems the way to go, especially since
byes are annoying.

Chris Paine
--Spartan alum and disgruntled basketball fan