From:
Charles Masenas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 1994 20:06:50 EST
A quote from today's Burlington Free Press sports writer Ted Ryan- "Although
RPI is a noted engineering school, it also has a management school where the
school could place more hockey players if it did not have to deal with the
academic index.  Gilligan (UVM's hockey coach) said the absence of an
academic index would not be beneficial to UVM 'because I don't think kids
would be successful academically if we took lower kids.'  UVM does not have
an equivalent program of RPI's management course."

I've taken courses at both UVM and RPI, seen *lots* of hockey at UVM and RPI
(once held season tickets at both schools for the same season) and can
distinguish between Ryan's writing and fact.  Ryan habitually elevates UVM,
berates the competition (especially HE), and detracts from a very respectable
program.  Too bad.

Charlie Masenas