From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 15:45:26 EST
Don't have any additional information on this.  Interestingly the T-U didn't
have any information about any new developments concerning the migration.
I think Jason's doubts about the existence of a "Blue Ribbon Panel" are
probably correct: the opposition to HE membership has always laid with the
administration; originally it was the President of the College, now it is
the AD.

But I do have two comments:

1. I still don't accept the notion that HE membership translates into an
instant recruiting advantage.  HE's recruiting base of Massachusetts and New
England isn't magically opened to a Troy, N.Y. school.  I would think the
competition for those hockey players is fierce from the existing 8 schools,
and I am sure that the addition of U Mass Amherst is going to really stiffen
the recruiting wars.

2. The effect on the ECAC will be severe.The league will definitely need a
new member to even up the travel partners.  Union will obviously be
disadvantaged with UVM as their likely partner.

3. The efforts of the Albany Sports Foundation to get the ECAC championships
to the Knick after 1995 will probably end.  I don't see such a tournament
attracting many fans from the Capital District if RPI isn't involved.  Union's
fan base still pales in comparison to the Engineers.  Maybe the Knick will try
to steal the HE championship?
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris