From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 14:25:00 -0500
Larry Latour (quoting from the Bangor Daily News) wrote:

> Walsh said Maine has a plan to offer the Hockey East ADs that
>may aid the Black Bears' chances of being allowed to participate
>in the tournament.
>
> "An option that may be considered is for the first-place team to
>have a choice of facing either the eighth-place team during the
>season or the eighth-place team because of the forfeits," said
>Walsh.
>
> "Then the second-place team gets the same choice right down to
>the fourth-place team."
>
> Walsh pointed out a similar option-system exists in the
>Central Collegiate Hockey Association when Alaska-Fairbanks,
>only an affilated (sic?) member of the league, participates
>in the postseason tournament.

I think this is the fairest way to do it. I think we all recognize that
Maine is not the 8th best team in Hockey East, and that this lessens the
advantage that is supposed to go to a team that is in first place.

I would actually like to see leagues adopt that system in any event. There is
a Jr. B box lacrosse league that does it here, and that's where I first came
upon this system, and I like it. I think a team that finishes first should be
able to choose who they want to play. I don't see why you should force them to
play the eighth-place team. Let's say that Merrimack had BU's number this
year. Why not let BU say "No, we'd rather play BC?"

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards         Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr. Senators (CJHL, Jr. A)
Poli Sci/Law III                   SHOOTOUTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!