From:
JACK MCDONALD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JACK MCDONALD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 15:50:51 -0700
DU Hockey Fans,

        We finally have a name...thx to all for the nominations

DENVER oe The University of Denver and Colorado College are two of the
oldest institutions of higher learning in a state made famous by the
discovery of gold near the city of Denver in 1858.
Now, some 136 years later, both schools will be looking to re-discover
gold as their hockey programs square off this weekend to determine the
first winner of the "Gold Pan" award.
Denver (15-17-2 OA, 11-17-2/8th in the WCHA)  and Colorado College
(21-9-4 OA, 17-9-4/1st in the WCHA)  will face off at 7:05 p.m.
Mountain time Friday, March 4 and Saturday, March 5. Both games, which
are sold out, will be broadcast live on Prime Sports Network-Rocky
Mountain. Friday's game will be played at the DU Arena and Saturday's
game will be played in Colorado Springs at the Broadmoor World Arena.
Denver leads the all-time series that dates back to January 2, 1950,
by a 127-66-5 (.654) margin.
Beginning this season, the Pioneers and the Tigers will compete
annually for an antique gold miner's pan, 18-inches in diameter. The
Gold Pan was donated by the Lost Gold Mine, the world's largest gold
mine located in Central City, Colo., and is a replica of the gold pans
used during the Colorado gold rush in the mid- to late-1800s.
"The rivarly between CC and DU has always been something special, but
there's never been anything for the winner to take home," DU head
coach Frank Serratore explained.  "It's going to be one of the goals
every year that we set to accomplish...getting home ice in the
playoffs, qualifying for the NCAA tournament, defending the 'Denver
Cup' and winning the 'Gold Pan.'"
After a season-long search to determine a symbol of this rivalry,
which spans 44 seasons and 198 thrilling contests, the athletics
departments of both institutions settled upon the miner's pan as the
ultimate symbol of the cross-state battle.
"We searched far and wide for ideas on what to do..." Serratore said.
"Trying to find something that would be symbolic for both schools.
There isn't a whole lot in common, though, between our two
schools and their mascots and those types of things.  One thing we do
have in common is the color gold, and the other thing that's in common
in the two areas is the gold rush.  They had gold mining down there as
well as they did up here.  It has historical significance in this
area."
DU Athletics Director Jack McDonald began a search at the beginning of
the season to find the perfect name or object to symbolize one of the
most intense rivalries in all of college sports. Soliciting
ideas from the student body, athletics department staff and college
hockey officials across the country, McDonald received more than 20
nominations.
The ideas included the Mile High Trophy, the Golden Nugget, the Golden
Spike, the Broadmoor Cup, the Golden Straw and the Bob Johnson Trophy,
to name a few.
"The 'Gold Pan' was the best idea of all because of its historical
ties to the gold rush days," Serratore said.
  Serratore began campaigning for a travelling trophy that would
escalate the rivarly when he first arrived at Denver in the summer of
1990.
"I've been trying to get (a travelling trophy) going for the past
couple  years," Serratore said.  "When (Lucia) got the job--he and I
are lifetime friends, we grew up together in Minnesota--I said this is
something we've got to do and he agreed wholeheartedly.  We just went
through and made it happen."
"Now the only thing left to do is win it," McDonald added.
The Tigers are tied for first place in the league standings with
Minnesota, searching for their first MacNaughton Cup since the 1956-57
season. DU, on the otherhand, is in an unfamiliar role as spoiler
after a disappointing regular season filled with injuries and missed
opportunities.
 The winner of the season series will capture the Pan, with a
five-round olympic-style shootout being the lone tie-breaking device.
Having split the two games played earlier in the year, the outcome of
the season series  will come down to Saturday's game  oe the final
regular-season game to be played in the famed Broadmoor World Ice
Arena in Colorado Springs.
"You couldn't ask for a better scenario," Serratore said heading into
the final weekend.  "Right now we're going to go into Saturday with
(the pan) on the line.  It's going right down to the last game which
is exciting."

-DU-
      ********************************

Jack McDonald, Athletic Director