From:
"John H. Hughes" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John H. Hughes
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 10:53:46 -0800
They could probably get credit for an Independent Study Norwegian course, too.
;-)

Seriously, I hope that NCAA and HE goes easy on Patrice.  He sounds like the
innocent victim of marginal rules, policy changes, and poor administration
followup.  Do these situations always result in the player/team being
punished?  I don't think the football and basketball comparisons are fair
(maybe in the Tory case they are) because they involve undergraduate athletes
who were 'helped' by boosters, or by the school under the table, or that
didn't have the grades coming in.  With Tardif it sounds like the schools
said: "You don't need to take that course because we only require that grad
student carry N credits per semester."  He did what seemed right and now he is
the one punished.

It would be even more of a screwup if the Ferraros and Imes play these final
games of the season and then Maine is ruled ineligible to play in the HE
tournament or NCAAs, if Maine gets that far, and they lose a full seasons
eligibility for two games that mean little by themselves.

-John Hughes
3Com Corporation, Santa Clara, CA