From:
Alan Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 1994 12:08:47 -0500
Patrick Ellis writes:

>..Should this supposed Maine team, not be allowed to the Playoffs,
>because of their record????
>
>  Forfeits (In MY mind) are forced upon the team, because it is
>impossible to determine what the game would have been like had that
>person not played.  It does not RADICALLY change who the team is.  Maine
>is still a skilled team, I can see NO RATIONAL reason as to why they
>would not be permitted into any playoffs, HE or National (assuming that
>they were going to be invited to begin with.......)  But that's just me....

        Well if all this holds true that they had some graduate student
who was not taking enough classes it sounds like they broke the rules.
The idea is that the people in charge at Maine either tried to break
the rules or were not smart enough to know the rules.  In either case
it is the atheletic administrations fault.  But the rules must be
enforced.  And keeping Maine out of the playoffs may be the best
punishment possible because I bet they will never break the rules
again.

                                                    Al