From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:56:19 +0100
Larry Winer writes:

>If consistency makes me a "broken record" - I'll wear the title proudly.
>Minnesota has chosen to do it their way- recruit Minnesotans only.  Union
>seems to say it is an ECAC school with no athletic scholarships; a school
>with a tough and limited academic program (ie no easy place to hide an
>cementhead) and has come up with aid for "foreign students" as a means of an
>intellectual exercise to somehow make the end result - Canadian hockey
>players on aid- a benign one. What price winning? Let someone else judge the
>rationale and whether it is worthy of an institution cloaked in high ideals?
>Better to give athletic scholarships (better yet pay the players and end all
>hypocrisy)-  As for Coach Walsh - he got caught- let those who sinneth not
>cast the first stone (and hockey is a distant 3rd in chicanery compared to
>football and basketball)

Larry:

You did not reply to my question.  Where is UNH (or Maine, or Wisconsin, or
Michigan, or Minnesota, or North Dakota, or Nebraska, or Ohio, or Vermont)
going to get their players to field competitive teams in college hockey.
If we had it your way only Minnesota, Michigan and Massachusetts would be
able to field competitive teams in US college hockey.

And tell me, is it our right to deny an education to any qualified
applicant who would like to study at a US school.  Yes, Jason Krog is an
outstanding hockey player, but he is also an outstanding student who has
been a credit to himself, his family and the University of New Hampshire
for his entire four years as a student.  Why demonize people like him for
the sake of national purity?

I suppose, based soley on nationality, neither Henry Kissinger or Madeline
Albright should have been Secretary of State nor should Werner von Braun
have been the head of NASA.

Yours, from outside the bunker,

Greg Ambrose