From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 02:20:38 -0400
At 10:51 PM -0500 2/2/97, Deron Treadwell wrote:
> At 01:59 PM 2/2/97 -0500, David Naghski wrote to INFO-HOCKEY-L:
> >Mens NCAA Div I Composite Schedule
> >For the week of: Monday 02/03 through Sunday 02/09
> >
> >---------  Hockey East  ------------------
> >02/03  Northeastern        vs Boston College      Beanpot (Boston, MA)
>6:00 ET
>
> I found this interesting.  Does BC, NU, and BU usually count the Beanpot as
> a conference game when they play each other in the first round?

No...this was done this year so that each team could pick up an additional
game against Michigan State.  BC and NU both already had 34 games scheduled
when MSU came a-calling, so they decided to cancel one of their conference
games and make the Beanpot matchup count in the standings.

This could result in a strange situation if the game goes into overtime
beyond five minutes, since then it would go into the books as a tie in HE
but a win/loss overall.  I'd think the best way to handle this would be to
play a 5-min OT first and then consecutive 20's till the game is decided.

The only other time I can recall something like this happening was several
years ago when Union played RPI in the RPI Invitational and they decided to
count the game in the ECAC standings as one of their two meetings, so that
Union could pick up an additional game.  Union was limited to only 25 total
games at that time by the administration, so it was a nice compromise for
the schools to make.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****