From:
Lynn Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 21:15:21 -0500
... and a story on the new BC coach

By MIKE NADEL
AP Sports Writer
   ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- Clayton Beddoes scored on
a breakaway 4:16 into overtime and Lake Superior
State beat Harvard 3-2 Thursday to reach the NCAA
hockey championship game for the third straight season.
   Blaine Lacher made 26 saves for the Lakers (30-10-4),
who will play Minnesota or Boston University on Saturday
night. Lake Superior State won the title in 1992 and
lost to Maine in last year's final.
   Harvard (24-5-4), which beat the Lakers in the 1989
quarterfinals en route to its only title, had its 11-game
unbeaten string snapped.
   A fine play by Beddoes in the third period set up a
goal by Sean Tallaire, who returned the favor in
overtime.
   Deep in his own end, Tallaire lifted a pass to Beddoes
at center ice. Beddoes caught the puck, dropped it onto
his stick, raced in alone against Harvard goalie Aaron
Israel and slipped the puck between Israel's pads.
   It was the third consecutive overtime win for the
Lakers, who beat Northeastern 6-5 in an NCAA first-round
game and then topped Michigan 5-4 in the West Regional
final.
   Since a 2-4-2 stretch in January, Lake Superior
State is 13-1-2. It has now won 30 games in each of c
oach Jeff Jackson's four seasons.
   Lacher, who had a record five consecutive shutouts
earlier this season, leads the nation with a 2.02
goals-against average and a .917 save percentage.
   Lake Superior had taken a 2-1 lead at 10:29 of the
third. Beddoes got the puck to Tallaire and then picked
off two defenders as Tallaire skated into the clear
and wristed the puck past Israel.
   But Harvard tied it 1:49 later when Sean McCann
tipped in Brian Farrell's pass, setting up the record
fourth overtime game of this year's NCAA tourney.
   Steven Barnes also scored for the Lakers while
Farrell had the Crimson's other goal.

By ROB GLOSTER
AP Sports Writer
   NEWTON, Mass. (AP) -- Tired of contract negotiations
and his other duties as an NHL assistant general manager,
Mike Milbury left the Boston Bruins on Wednesday to
become hockey coach at Boston College.
   Milbury, who went from star defenseman to coach to
assistant general manager during a 20-year career with
the Bruins, had been promised the general manager's
job at the end of next season.
   But Milbury said he sought the job with the Eagles
because he wanted to return to coaching and leave behind
"the rigors of managing a team in the National Hockey
League."
   "There isn't much time at home, and quite frankly
I got sick of negotiating contracts," he said of his
job with the Bruins. "I got sick of trying to meet
unreasonable demands by players."
   Milbury, 41, becomes only the fourth Boston College
hockey coach since 1946, but the second in three years.
Steve Cedorchuk resigned last week after just two
years in the position.
   Milbury said he hopes to have as long a career at
Boston College as John "Snooks" Kelley, who coached
Eagles from 1932-42 and 1946-72. Len Ceglarski coached
Boston College from 1972-92.
   "I have committed to Boston College for several
years," said Milbury, who said he demanded his new
contract not contain an escape clause. "I'm coming to
Boston College, I want to stay at Boston College."
   Milbury actually played under Kelley more than three
decades ago while attending hockey camp at Boston
College as a youngster.
   "I don't see the NHL in my future. I intend to be
here hopefully as long as I was with the Bruins
organization," he said, then promised Boston College
alumni and fans: "I know your traditions. I'll honor
them."
   Boston College athletic director Chet Gladchuk
introduced Milbury at a news conference attended
by members of the hockey team and Milbury's family.
   "Mike Milbury is an impact player, he's going to be
an impact coach," Gladchuk said. "He's going to be
an impact person on the community."
   Milbury signed with the Bruins as a free agent
following his college career at Colgate and broke
into the NHL on a full-time basis in 1976 following
two years in the minors.
   He spent nine seasons as one of the team's top
defensemen, retiring in May 1985 to become an assistant
coach but returning to play in the 1985-86 and 1986-87
seasons when injuries depleted the team's defense.
   Milbury had 238 points and 1,552 penalty minutes in
754 games for the Bruins. He ranks second on the club
in career penalty minutes.
   After two years as coach and general manager for the
Bruins' top affiliate in Maine, he became coach and
assistant general manager of the Bruins in May 1989
and led the team to the Stanley Cup finals in 1989-90.
He stepped down as coach after his second year to
concentrate on his job as assistant general manager.
   During his two seasons as Bruins coach, Milbury had a
90-49-21 record and his teams finished first both
seasons in the Adams Division.

|                   Lynn Burke    Newport News, Va.                     |
|      [log in to unmask] -- mail still shows [log in to unmask]     |