Sender:
From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1993 22:33:09 EST
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Patrick L. Blake"
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>To all of you who have referred to UMaine fans as being extremely/overly
>partisan, what's wrong with that? I think it'd be nice if more fans showed
>this kind of support for their team.

As a baseball umpire, I see plenty wrong with the partisanship a lot
of fans (not just Maine fans) show toward their teams. Despite what
people think, ragging on the officials is not part of the game. It
isn't the part of any game (I know, some are going to tell me it is
because it's done all the time). It's poor sportsmanship. Good sport-
smanship is cheering for your team, not booing officials and oppos-
ing players. Atheletics is supposed to be positive for the fans, the
players, the coaches, and the officials.

Ryan Robbins
Stodder Hall
University of Maine