Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1993 11:35:49 EST
Harvard Women's Ice Hockey Team:  6-10-2 (ECAC),  4-5-1 (Ivy League)
In a year when the team was small, due to graduation and discontent,
the Crimson had an up and down year.  The high points would be when
they played well against the better teams, and the win against
Princeton.  The low points were playing poorly against the light-
weights.

*rhun First Team*

Erin Villiotte, goalie.  When she was on her game, she was a tough
goalie to beat.  She kept Harvard in many games by her saves.

Holly Leitzes, defender.  As a first year player she played very well.
At times I saw in her what bordered on excellence.  Her defensive
abilities are matched by her offensive thrusts, which I look forward
to, as she grows in skill and confidence.

Winkie Mleczko, defender. *rhun Defender of the Year*  Game after game,
she came up big for the Crimson.  She stood up at the blue line and
made good solid plays.  Her method of stepping up, and then making the
simple, quick break-out pass, was very intelligent.

Diana Clark, forward.  She would probably be happier on the blue line.
From what I have seen of her there a year ago, I think she would give
Harvard a steady fourth defender.  As a center she helped stabilize
the second line by providing support at both ends of the ice.

Megan Hall, forward. *rhun Most Improved Player*  Difficult to
be most improved in your first year, but Hall accomplished that by
developing her skills all season.  She is one of the best playmakers
on the team.  Her ability to hold onto a puck and then dish it off to
a linemate is great.

Joey Alissi, forward. *rhun Offensive Player of the Year*  The leading
scorer, this junior was a good back-checker too.  A player who could
break the puck out of her own end, and can finish it off with the
telling pass, or good shot.  As co-captain she was a very positive
example for the rest of the team.

The three areas Harvard needs to improve upon for next year:
1)  Too many players, in the past and present, have not been given
    the chance to perform.
2)  The players need to go out and play the game and have some fun,
    every game.
3)  Skating is the weakest part of Harvard's game.

Overall, I found this season to be interesting to watch.  Not only was
it intriguing to see the team mature, but the visitors were often fun.
I await next year's side, which maybe able to mount a stronger
challenge.

/
 good shooting
 rhun