Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 91 16:44:19 EST
Rico writes:
>1.  Who came up with the two game, total goals concept for a play-off
>series?  This has always struck me as possibly the most poorly devised of
>all the alternatives.  Either make it a best of three or a single game.
>The ECAC play-off system (two games with a ten-minute mini-game if it's a
>split) seems a somewhat happy compromise.

When the NCAA expanded the postseason tournament from four teams to eight
teams in 1981, the quarterfinals were set up as a two-game, total goals
series.  In 1989, having expanded the tournament to 12 teams the year
before, the NCAA changed the qualifying round and the quarterfinals from a
total-goals series to a best-of-three format.

In addition, the quarterfinal rounds for each league's postseason tour-
nament, except for the ECAC's, are best-of-three.  I believe the ECAC's
Division III playoff series are the two-game format as well (with a minigame
if necessary).

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"I was just sitting here looking out of my window, and I noticed that there's
 a woman hanging from a window ledge on your building and she's about ten
 flights up, and I was wondering if -- no, operator, you're missing the point;
 I don't wish to SPEAK to the woman..."
-- Shelley Berman