Sender:
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1992 09:48:51 EST
For those who have an inexplicable desire to know about this......

> Tim asked about the RPI mascot, the red bee. (Sorry, I don't know how to
> paraphrase.) It's known as the Red Swarm, and I know the guy who does it,
> but I don't understand the significance either. It first surfaced during
> the RPI glory years of the mid 80's when Mike Addesa was the coach and then
> after he left, the put it on the uniforms, starting with last season.
> Maybe someone else from the 'Tute can enlighten us more....
> (It has been suggested that there are 'political' connections between
> Addessa and the swarm, but I wouldn't know for sure)

The Swarm (better known as "The Termite" to those of us who are less than
 enamored with it) was actually derived from that most rare of events: a
 successful RPIfootball season of the early to mid-80s. {Note: I don't think it
 is still the case, but for many years RPI held an NCAA record for the longest
 football losing streak).  They had a strong defense which became known as the
 Red Swarm (in honor of the uniforms and gang tackling).  The name and
 subsequent mascot were carried over to the hockey team.

If it's gone I won't cry about it.......

Jon