Sender:
From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:01:52 -0700
I think that each of these three situations are unique.

There were indications that a good part of Kobasew's problem was
homesickness.  He's not the first college student going to school 3000
miles from home that's dropped out of school for that reason.

Orpik's game, in my opinion is more suited to the professional game.
One of his drawbacks as a college player is dumb penalties.  A lot of
those dumb penalties would be normal behavior in the pros.  He won his
NCAA Championship; what more is there for him to do in college?

Not only had Kolanos won his NCAA Championship, but he scored a very
pretty winning goal in the championship game in overtime.  Ain't no way
to top that.  Anything he did this year would be anticlimactic.

In the case of Orpik and Kolanos, unlike professions that have "free
agency," a college player actually has a better bargaining position if
they have eligibility left.  So they may actually end up making more
now than they would have had they stayed in school.

Clay