Sender:
From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1992 19:51:48 EST
   OK, now I'm *thoroughly* confused .... Last week I asked (after watching
the USA-Italy Olympic contest:

>    At one point the commentators mentioned that a goal *cannot* be scored
>    by a team into its own net when its goalkeeper has been pulled during
>    a delayed penalty situation (such as the 1986 RPI-Cornell situation
>    described here on HOCKEY-L last week).  Is this a standard International
>    Rule ??  Do the World Junior Tournaments play by the same rules ??

Mike Machnik replies:

>   I think the announcers were trying to explain why USA had pulled its
>   goalie to new viewers.  I am not aware of any rule wiping out a goal
>   had they put the puck in their own net.  Perhaps the explanation came
>   out a little garbled.

[log in to unmask] adds (in response to Mike):

>It didn't sound garbled to me.  I don't remember the exact wording, but
>it was something along the lines of, "unlike in the NHL, if the Italians
>put the puck in their own empty net [on the delayed penalty], the goal
>would not count."

>It seemed pretty clear to me that they were trying to say that the goal
>would be waved off. Up to the broadcast, I hadn't heard of a rule
>like this.  (It is possible that it came across as the announcers meant,
>but that they were somehow mis-informed.)

Larry Haag <[log in to unmask]> continues:

>>It seemed pretty clear to me that they were trying to say that the goal
>>would be waved off.  Up to the broadcast, I hadn't heard of a rule like this.

>I heard it this way, too.  I drove over to Buffalo for the Sabres/Kings game
>last night and had a similar confused discussion with the friends I was with.
>None of us had heard of such a rules change.

   Well, I'm sure many of you watched this afternoon's USA-Poland match, and
this issue came up yet again.  Early in the first period, USA was called for
a delayed penalty, and Poland brought the puck into the USA zone.  A shot
from the point richochets in off a USA player, but the goal is waved off by
the referee.  The announcers explain this by stating that once the puck is
"touched" [NOTE: not "controlled"] by a USA player, the whistle is blown and
play stops.  Poland then goes on the PP after the ensuing face-off, and the
announcers continue their commentary by noting (yet again) that [here I'm
para-phrasing] "unlike the NHL, a team cannot score into its own net on a
delayed penalty, so there is no risk of this happening as sometimes occurs
in the NHL."

   Now I'm *doubly* confused !!  Since when are goals "waved off" if scored
unintentionally off a defensive player, whatever the man-up/man-down situation
on the ice ??  [the USA caught a HUGE break here, IMHO]  And, why/when were
the International Rules appended to prevent goals being scored into the
vacated net on delayed penalties ??  Does anyone have an International Ice
Hockey Federation Rulebook ?? Someone mentioned earlier calling the USA-Hockey
Federation here in the US to confirm the USA-Finland score - can they call
again and get a rules clarification ??

   I *thought* I understood the Hockey Rulebook, but now I'm not so sure :-)

					Cheers from the Chesapeake - Jim