Sender:
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:50:11 -0700
To: Eeyore <[log in to unmask]>
At 08:09 PM 3/21/88 -0600, Eeyore wrote:
>Perhaps.  But you have now suggested getting to Grand Forks for a Thursday
>game, which means missing at least Thursday classes, and then playing in
>Anchorage on Sunday, which means missing at least Monday.  That's a
>significant difference to just missing Friday classes.  Additionally, this
>travel schedule will provide a serious competitive disadvantage to the teams
>that have to make the trip.

Actually I didn't suggest doing that trip; someone else offered that as
problem. I'm merely offering that as a worst-case solution. I would think
that those in charge of WCHA scheduling would never schedule such a pairing.

But even if they did, the point is that it's not that big a deal... if
hockey is the priority.

The simple fact is that scheduling different opponents on the same weekend
in the WCHA isn't really as bad as people make it out to be. Playing a
NoDak-Minnesota weekend with Friday-Sunday games isn't that bad, and if the
Sunday game is an afternoon match then the kiddies don't wind up missing class.

>As to playing only one game on the weekend, how are you planning to
>accommodate the extra weeks needed to get the schedule played?  For the most
>part, WCHA teams don't have the luxury of being able to play weeknight games
>that the closeness of teams in HE do.

Which is why I mentioned that the easiest solution is simply to play FEWER
GAMES. Whether fewer WCHA or NC games, that's the price you pay. Or, as
suggested by others here, these teams simply travel more, and the kids miss
more classes.

Not to mention, DU and CC would have no problems playing their games on
weeknights, as could games between many other WCHA clubs (Minnesota and
Wisconsin, etc). Same goes for NC matchups (DU/CC vs Air Force).

Obviously, any solution would require some sacrifices. But it's far from
impossible.

greenie