Sender:
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 00:32:53 -0500
Comments:
To: greenie <[log in to unmask]>
-- [ From: Kepler * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> And over on USCHO, not even a box score? What gives? Could it be the USCHO
folk
> are bitter over the fact that the Terriers (an EASTERN) team are through
to the
> finals, a minor feat that not one of the writers predicted?

Never confuse stupidity with bias.

USCHO does two things competently: they put up the most timely ticker and
they put up final scores and even full boxes within hours (in many cases) of
game completion.  Their writing can't compare, for interest or coherence,
with a grocery store sale circular, and their features have the sort of
breathless self-referential "look at me I'm an insider!" fawning of bad
political reporting or good teen idol magazines, but who cares?! -- no
matter how silly, they're a useful resource for pure numbers and they keep a
handful of ego-impaired types off the streets.  That's a very useful niche.

Hockey-l is, conversely, the discussion niche.  In which spirit: somebody
out there must have witnessed the Badger Hockey Showdown.  How 'bout an
eyewitness account of both first round (mild) upsets?

-- G

--

*  Greg Berge