Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:03:28 -0400
ECAC Ice Hockey Officiating Bureau Restructured
Bob Quinn named Director of ECAC Ice Hockey Officiating

	The ECAC announced the hiring of four new supervisors for its ECAC
Ice Hockey officiating bureau.  Bob Quinn will serve as the newly
appointed Director of ECAC Ice Hockey Officiating and the Division I Men's
supervisor of officials.  John Gallagher has been named the East
supervisor of officials while Bill Helton has been named the Division I
Women's and Division III Women's supervisor of officials.  Bob Russell,
the fourth new staff member, was named the supervisor of officials for the
Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC), the new fifth Division I ice
hockey conference which will be utilizing the ECAC ice hockey officiating
bureau.

	The ECAC also announced that Steve Wisnowski will resume his
duties as the West/SUNYAC supervisor of officials and Dick Maar will serve
as the Northeast supervisor of officials.

	With the additions to the staff, the ECAC also announced a
restructuring of the bureaus.  The 1998-99 season will feature specific
supervisors of officials for each of the eight leagues that the
officiating bureau assigns.

	"We are certainly excited about the changes that have made.  This
structure will allow the ECAC to service our members more efficiently,"
ECAC Ice Hockey Commissioner Jeff Fanter said.  "The new members of the
staff only make this structure that much more effective.  We are the only
collegiate ice hockey officiating bureau in the nation that services as
many schools (94) as we do.  This structure will create a defined process
in which officials will be trained, and it will help guarantee that we are
getting the top officials on the ice."

	"The other key thing to this new structure is that it allows us to
continually give officials feedback and training throughout the entire
season.  With eight different leagues our officials are getting the
necessary work each and every week to assure us that they are sharp when
they are on the ice.  The new structure will allow for officials to
officiate at all levels of college ice hockey, both men and women, and
allows for officials to move through the different levels, based on what a
particular official has as his/her goals."

	Fanter will oversee the operation from the ECAC offices in
Centerville, MA.  Quinn will serve as the director and handle the
assigning of the Division I menıs league.  This is Quinnıs second tenure
with the ECAC as he returns to the position that he held up until the
December of 1997.  He replaces Frank Cole who worked with Quinn for the
first half of the year last year and then took over the position as of
January 1, 1998.  Cole recently accepted the position of NCAA national
coordinator of ice hockey officials.

	Quinn, who recently began his 30th year in education as the
principal of Georgetown Middle/High School in Georgetown, MA, began
officiating in the ECAC in 1975.  He worked all levels of college hockey
including the ECAC, Hockey East and the NCAA finals. In 1986 Quinn moved
into hockey administration as an assistant supervisor in Hockey East and
on August 15, 1991 he was named the supervisor of officials for ECAC Ice
Hockey. A native of Melrose, MA, Quinn was a three-sport athlete at
Melrose High School before enrolling at Nichols College where he played
both baseball and hockey.  Transferring to Salem State, Quinn played
hockey for the Vikings, graduating in 1968.  He holds a masters in College
and Community Counseling from Northeastern and School Administration from
Salem State. "I am very pleased to welcome Bob Quinn back.  He was a real
asset for the ECAC over the last six-plus seasons and will continue to be
a valuable part of ECAC Ice Hockey,"  Fanter said.  "I can not say enough
about Frank Cole and the job that he did for the ECAC in his short
tenure."

	Joining Quinn, as new staff members for the 1998-99 season will be
Gallagher, Russell and Helton.  Helton, an ECAC official since 1994,
currently serves as the Commissioner of Officials for the Eastern
Massachusetts Girls Ice Hockey League and the director of the Helton
women's ice hockey tournament and ice hockey school.  He will serve as the
Division I Women's and Division III Women's supervisor of officials.  The
Danvers, Massachusetts resident served as the supervisor of officials for
the Danvers youth hockey program and the assistant commissioner of
officials for the Pingree school's men's and women's ice hockey.

	"Bill has been a part of a women's ice hockey for a long time.
His knowledge of the women's game and experience in dealing with officials
of the women's game will only help strengthen what we feel is a solid
bureau right now,"  Fanter said.  "He replaces Tom Lynch who may have done
more for ECAC ice hockey officiating in his long tenure than anyone else
before him.  My compliments certainly go out to Tom."

	Gallagher, an ECAC official for the last 14 seasons, will continue
to officiate at the Division I level while also serving as the Men's East
supervisor of officials.  The Stoneham, Massachusetts native has
officiated in the NCAA tournament eight times and been a part of five NCAA
finals in Division I and Division II.  He served as an NHL replacement
official in 1993 and has served as the Massachusetts independent school
league supervisors of officials. "John has been a familiar face to so many
people involved with ECAC Ice Hockey and it is nice to see him continue
his career as an official, while also becoming involved in a different
aspect of the profession.  His knowledge and experience with so many
people within ECAC Ice Hockey is invaluable,"  Fanter said.

	Russell will serve as the MAAC supervisor of officials.  The MAAC
has hired the services of the ECAC ice hockey officiating bureau to assign
its officials for the 1998-99 season.  Russell has been an ECAC official
since 1983 at all levels, including Division I, Division II, Division III
and for the both of the women's alignments.  He is currently serving as
the National Ice Hockey Officials Association Second Vice President.
"Assigning officials to the MAAC is a new endeavor for the ECAC. The
addition of Bob will give those eight schools a dedicated supervisor which
should only help that league grow even more quickly,"  Fanter said.

	A pair of veterans will have continued roles with the ice hockey
bureau as Maar and Wisnowski return to the staff. Maar will take on new
duties as he will serve as the supervisor of officials for the Men's
Northeast while Wisnowski will continue his duties as the Men's
West/SUNYAC supervisor of officials. "We are pleased to have both men back
in the fold this season.  Dick has been a part of ECAC ice hockey for many
years and his knowledge of the operations will help everyone involved.
Steve had an excellent season last year and that year of experience should
only help solidify things for this season,"  Fanter said.

TRANSACTIONS
Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC)-Names Bob Quinn Director of
ECAC Ice Hockey Officiating/Men's Division Supervisor of Officials, names
John Gallagher Men's East Supervisor of Officials, names Bill Helton
Women's Ice Hockey Supervisor of Officials, names Bob Russell Metro
Atlantic Collegiate Conference Supervisor of Officials, names Dick Maar
Men's Northeast Supervisor of Officials, names Steve Wisnowski Men's
West/SUNYAC Supervisor of Officials.
ECAC ICE HOCKEY OFFICIATING BUREAU BREAKDOWN

Director of ECAC Ice Hockey Officiating
BOB QUINN

Immediate Supervisor for:
Men's Division I (12 teams)