Sender:
From:
Anne Diffily <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 14:50:09 GMT
Comments:
Ralph Baer commented:

>...[Actually, I thought that games were quite well reffed.]

My husband and I watched most of the games on TV this past weekend (as
Luiz pointed out, we in Rhode Island got all the game feeds free on basic
cable, for reasons we still don't understand -- with no commercials or
filler!).  And we both were amazed at the difference high-quality
officiating made in the caliber of play and the way the games flowed.  It
was just a pleasure to watch.

Does anyone know why ECAC refs (and maybe this is true in some other
conferences) have gotten so bad?  As Brown season-ticket holders, we have
seen games get utterly out of control, players seriously injured, and
games be won or lost by one ref-attributable goal more times than we can
count in the past few years.  We have watched linesmen delay almost
*every* face-off with silly stalling and teasing tactics, and longwinded
lectures to the players, while the crowd screams DROP THE PUCK and the
players get more and more frustrated, and the game starts to lose its
momentum.  From the stands it looks like a power trip on the part of the
officials.  What's going on?

And I can't even begin to comment on the quality (not!) of the refereeing
at the women's college championship in Boston.  Nice to see women in ref's
uniforms, but *only* if they can do the job properly.

There, that's my rant for the end of *this* season!

- Anne
Brown Women's Hockey '70-'72