Sender:
From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:46:14 -0500

>What possible relevance does the hockey coach have to the average student
>at a university? If Shawn Walsh were to start teaching Geography classes,
>then maybe I would see a connection. If he were taking out thousands of
>books from the U of Maine's library, and never returning them, then maybe I
>would see it.
>
>Six months ago I found myself once again in the process of choosing a
>university to attend. The factors that I considered were the content of
>the programs I was interested in, and the location of the schools. Who the
>U of Manitoba's hockey coach was never even crossed my mind. I didn't
>know who he was until after I got here in September. The U of Regina was
>my second choice, and I still don't know who their hockey coach is. And
>I'm taking Recreation Studies. If I were taking Economics, I'd care even
>less who the hockey coach is.
>
>See you later,
>John

John:

A common mistake people make when making their case in an arguement is to
take their personal experience and universalize it,  that is, make the
assumption that everyone else thinks like they do.

I'm glad that you chose your college based on certain objective criteria. I
would like to think that those who rejected Maine did so as well.
UMaine's endorsement  of Walsh's indiscretions, and by retaining him as
coach that is what it is, sends the wrong message to those who are
concerned with the ethics of a university.

I am not saying that every student who chose not to go to UMaine based his
decision on the Walsh fiasco.  However, it appears, at least from the Globe
article, that it was a factor in the decision making process for some
students.

Greg Ambrose