Sender:
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 15:28:38 -0500
7bit
From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: "Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:59:21 -0500 Cheryl A. Morris wrote:

> I hope they discontinue the whole thing unless they make some major
> changes, like the format for instance.  I am tired of RPI wasting its NC
> games on Union, especially when the administration sees fit to line up
> a slate of rollovers to boost the won-loss record. As I posted when the
> thing was first announced, the Knick should host a tournament with two
> outside teams, preferably WCHA, but at least CCHA, to play RPI and Union.
> If by some stroke of luck, a team the likes of Wisconsin could be enticed
> into playing a couple of games at the Knick against the local teams that
> would be a litmus test for hockey support in Albany.

Are you saying that the WCHA teams as a whole are superior to those of the
CCHA?  Or that teams from those two conferences would be preferable to Hockey
East teams?

I agree with you that the format is flawed.  In attempting to create a rivalry
between the two schools, organizers have accomplished the opposite:  overkill.
Who'd have thought that overkill was possible in college hockey?  I'm just not
happy with your proposed solution.  Non-conference games are great, but let's
not slight entire conferences.  I am sure that the organizers would be thrilled
to draw a Western Michigan or an Ohio State to its arena as opposed to, say a
Mankato State or a Minnesota-Duluth (which is not to slight Mankato or UMD).
One of the great things about college hockey is that the sport is small enough
that either of those matchups are worthy of buying a ticket.
--
Edward N. Moller
Controller