Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 17:27:04 -0500
On Nov 6, 16:11, Tami Kuhn wrote:
>I just read Chris Lerch's report on the RIT victory over Villanova and I
>must admit that I had to look twice at the score...20 goals in one game?
>Do any of you historians out there know of a situation where more goals
>than that have been scored in a single game?  WOW!

I couldn't tell you the date, except that it was before the 1950's, but Boston
College once beat Cornell 24-1.  I believe the Division I College Hockey Record
Book lists this one under Most Goals Scored (or Allowed).

Scores like this, while relatively uncommon, are not unheard-of in Division III.
The gap between the haves and have-nots in Division III is somewhat wider than
it is in Division I.  RIT is a strong team in the highly competitive ECAC West
division; Villanova, which plays in Division III even though it is classified
Division I, is a middle- to low-ranked team in the considerably weaker ECAC
South.  So a result like this is not all that surprising (note that Villanova
lost 16-0 to Mercyhurst, another ECAC West team, the next night)

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I got a new house.  I sold my old house for $85,000... boy, was my landlord
 pissed."
-- Garry Shandling