Sender:
From:
"J. Michael Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:27:20 -0400
Deron Treadwell wrote:

> A lot is said about Michigan's offense, but their underrated defense
>  is impressive.  Turco was not forced to face many shots.  Maine
>  probably got 20 shots on net (give or take a few) and it wasn't until
>  the third period before he actually had to face flurries of shots.
>  This isn't as much of a reflection on the Michigan defense, as the
>  fact Maine was a desperate team by this point.

This actually has been a dirty little secret for a couple of years now.  It
isn't just that Michigan scores so much; it's also that the defensemen don't
put up the points.  Steve Halko, Harold Shock and, in particualr I think,
Blake Sloan could put some numbers up.  Instead, they let all of the
firepower up front do its job and concentrate on covering up in back.  Look
at the stats from last year; what seperated Michigan from most of the rest of
the teams at the top was not the offense.  Colorado College and Boston
University in particular could score with the same proficiency as the
Wolverines.  It was goals against that set Michigan apart, and it wasn't just
Turco.

J. Michael Neal