Sender:
From:
John Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 1995 00:04:44 -0500
Jayson Moy wrote:

>OK, we couldn't find it in the 1994 book, and we didn't have the
>1995 book.  But is "taunting" really a call?

>Mike and I were amazed at this call.  This is the first time in my
>life that I have seen a taunting call.  Mike said the same.

>And one more thing, what is the hand signal for taunting?

I don't know for sure about NCAA rules, but in USA Hockey this year, a rule
was added under Rule 601(a), Abuse of Officials and Other Misconduct.

The rule states, "Any player who challenges or disputes the rulings of any
Official or endeavours to incite an opponent (including taunting) or create
a disturbance during the game shall be assessed a minor penalty for
unsportsmanlike conduct."

The hand signal would be the unsportsmanlike conduct signal, hands forming
a "T" just like a time-out (the signals are interchangeable in USA Hockey).

I would assume that the NCAA has instituted a rule similar to this,
although I don't have a current NCAA rulebook on hand.

It should be noted, though, that many infractions in ice hockey do not have
hand signals. They are simply reported to the scorer's table and announced
on the p.a. One example that comes immediately to mind is an illegal
equipment, such as a stick with too much curve, etc.

John.