Sender:
From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 20:21:30 -0800
From Gazette-Telegraph 11/12/94

This time, Pioneers persevere
  DU holds off rival CC, 6-5

by Steve Page

DENVER - Chris Kenady didn't want to repeat the experience.

A week ago, the University of Denver rallied from a 4-2 deficit on two
third-period goals by Kenady, only to have North Dakota recover for two
late scores and a 6-4 victory.

Kenady said the Pioneers learned their lesson.

And the senior wing from Mound, Minn., made sure they didn't forget
those lessons Friday against Colorado College.

Kenady scored two third-period goals after CC had rallied for a 4-4 tie,
and the Pioneers held on for a 6-5 Western Collegiate Hockey Association
victory before 4,644 fans at the DU Ice Arena.

"We finally showed some character," Kenady said.  "We showed we could
maintain a lead, and not give it up.  It was a great team effort."

Denver improved its WCHA record to 3-4 and handed CC its first loss in
five league games.

The Pioneers did it by taking advantage of defensive lapses by the Tigers.
DU jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period, then spent the rest of
the night fending off the Tigers.

CC rallied with goals by defenseman Kent Fearns and wing Peter Geronazzo
to tie the score midway through the second period before Erik Andersson
netted a power-play goal at 14:31 of the middle period to push the
Pioneers back on top.  Jay McNeill created the game's second tie at 17:23,
but Andersson retaliated with a rebound at 18:50.

The Tigers kept clawing back, though, as Ryan Reynard tied it 4-4 at 11:05
of the third period.  But Kenady finished a 4-on-3 rush with the Pioneers'
fifth goal at 12:10, then fought off a CC defenseman to run the lead back
to two goals at 16:48.

The Tigers were given an opportunity to immediately get back in it when
Denver was given a two-minute bench penalty after its fans littered the
ice with debris following Kenady's first score.  But the Tigers could not
capitalize; they finished 1 for 7 on power plays.

CC coach Don Lucia pulled goaltender Ryan Bach in the final minute for an
extra attacker, and the move worked when R.J. Enga scored on a short wrist
shot with 12 seconds remaining.  But the Tigers could not gain possession
on the ensuing faceoff, and the Pioneers had the win.

The Tigers enjoyed a 42-24 shooting advantage, but Lucia said that wasn't
enough to overcome defensive miscues.

"We got lazy in our own end at times," he said after the third-ranked Tigers
slipped to 5-2 overall.  "We've got to make a commitment to play at both
ends, not just in the offensive zone.

"We got better as the game went on, but we need a complete effort the next
time we play them."

The Tigers hots the Pioneers at 2:05 p.m. Sunday at the Cadet Ice Arena.

Both Lucia and DU coach George Gwozdecky praised the play of junior
goaltender Sinuhe Wallinheimo, who rejected 37 CC shots, including 18 in
the second period.

Gwozdecky said, "Sinuhe was very good tonight.  He made some big, big
saves.

"When it was 5-4 and we got the bench minor for our fans throwing stuff
on the ice, I thought our penalty-killing did a good job with that.  It
was good to see Kenady come through in the big situations."

Bach finished with 18 saves.

(end of article)

Karen Heasley
Colorado College '95
[log in to unmask]   *  [log in to unmask]

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
 in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
 - Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes 11/9/94