Sender:
From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 1994 06:34:41 -0400
Bri wrote:

>Anyone know what the latest scoop on RPI's contemplation about
>moving to Hockey East?

Let me first state that I know nothing more about the move outside of
what I have read on H-L.  So what follows are opinions.

>The potential move is intriguing. On the one hand, I'm sure that Hockey
>East's television contract with NESN is certainly a big factor in the
>decision. Also, the fact that the ECAC does not market or promote itself
>whatsoever and that the ECAC is perceived as the "fourth" conference.

I agree with both of these statements.

>But there would seem to be some down sides, as well. First off, I'm not
>sure how happy the alumni would be.

I really doubt that most would care that much.  I have never bought the
arguement that if RPI is in a sports league (in one sport) with the
Ivies then it must be on a par academically with them.  Perhaps if they
were in the same league in all sports something might rub off, but in
one sport (that few outside of H-L pay attention to), it just isn't
that important.  Actually, I think that the additional exposure that HE
would bring might be liked by some alumni.

>It seems that RPI has some big
>rivalries in the ECAC that they might not want to lose.

This I agree with.  RPI would not want to lose its rivlaries with
Clarkson and SLU.  Of course with the larger schedule allowed RPI could
still play these teams--but would SLU and CCT (oops, I mean Clarkson
:-) ) want to player a "traitor".

What I really wonder about is Union.  RPI plays Union in most, if not
all, sports, and in most other sports usually loses.  For many years
RPI had a Div-I hockey team and Union didn't.  For the last few years,
both did but Union was not competitive.  Now that Union has apparently
become competitive, and losses by RPI to Union, as in the first playoff
game, become more frequent, I wonder if RPI would not be better off in
not playing Union regularly.  Excuse the pituitary ball reference, but
I keep thinking of the fact that Georgetown didn't want to play
Maryland for many years (and earlier Maryland didn't want to play
G'town), because they had everything to lose and nothing to gain--I see
RPI being in the same situation with respect to Union.

>Also, it would
>seem that, by moving to Hockey East, that they would be effectively
>shifting their recruiting base east. I have a hard time picturing RPI
>convincing many New Englanders to go there instead of BU or Maine.
>Interesting...

RPI coach Buddy Powers apparently feels that the Boston area is the
most important recruiting area (he played at Catholic Memorial and BU).
Although RPI will be at a disadvantage compared to BU, it will be less
of a disadvantage than RPI is currently under.  Historically, RPI has
mainly recruited in Canada, primarily Ontario.  Interestingly enough, I
think that RPI's NC$$ championship team of '85 had a larger percentage
of Massachusetts players than other teams either earlier or later.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what will happen with this.

By the way, I note on the schedule that Jayson recently posted that
Miami has apparently dropped out of the RPI Tourney.  Does anyone know
why?  (Not Mount Allison again -- please!)

Ralph Baer   RPI '68, '70, '74