Sender:
From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 1994 20:04:31 EDT
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
I don't believe college hockey aficionados should worry any time
soon about the possible "corruption" college hockey might experience
should it go big time.

Whether there is or isn't a Final Four will have no bearing on the
sport's popularity.

Large schools will never become any more interested or more aggres-
sive in developing hockey programs simply because the sport will
never reach the timeless popularity of college football and basket-
ball.

College football and basketball serve as minor leagues to the pros.
See tomorrow's stars today, that's the attraction to these two
sports. Hockey on the other hand, has a minor league system. As far
as I know, a vast majority of college players signed to pro contracts
start in the minors.

If you don't subscribe to this reasoning, take a look at college
baseball. It does not serve as a catapult to the majors because it
has an extensive minor league structure. It draws the same number
of fans as college hockey (guesstimate).

The media aren't interested in college hockey for the same reason
they are not interested in baseball: Americans have short attention
spans. They do not want to watch athletes who will graduate and
then get banged around in relative obscurity for three or four years
before makig it to the pros.

Not even minor league baseball enjoys much media attention. We have
nothing to fear.

Ryan Robbins
Stodder Hall
University of Maine