Sender:
From:
Ralph Christopher Slate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 1994 05:45:51 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>According to HE rules, all teams in the league are eligible for
>the playoffs.

I believe that this statement is the key to the whole situation. Hockey East
needed to come up with a sanction that actually punished Maine. If Hockey East
did not punish the violations, this would send a bad message out to the
rest of the NCAA. I'm sure that many will disagree with me, but simply
forcing Maine to forfeit 21 games is NO PUNISHMENT WHATSOEVER. Every team
makes the playoffs; the only thing Maine would lose would be home ice.

    People have stated that the students should not suffer because of one
person's mistakes. I'm sorry, but welcome to the real world, where actions
have repercusssions. If you believe that argument, than the only punishment
fitting Maine would be to personally fine or fire their compliance
officer. Any other sanction would "hurt the innocent students". It's
a fact of life; Organizations are resposible for the actions of their
employees. Otherwise, what would stop any school from hiring a complete
clown for a compliance officer, and then saying "don't punish us - it's
not our fault" when rules are broken.

     Just think - the situation could be worse. Just look at Wisconsin
from a few years ago. They were the runner up in the NCAA Tournament -
and were busted for a student taking reduced rent from a booster.
The result - no runner up. And the sanction should be no different if
Wisconsin came in first. That's life - tough noogies.

Ralph