Sender:
From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 1994 17:39:34 -0500
>Tony, I hope you and the rest of the list realize that you have
>libeled Coach Walsh with allegations he has payed his players.
>Saying you have heard these allegations does not protect you
>from the law because it is just like when a newspaper publishes
>a libelous statement by a source.

Ryan, you should be careful as well. If Tony's allegations are
true (a big IF), then it is NOT libel. Truth is an ABSOLUTE
defense for libel and slander. If they are not true, then Tony
had better be careful.

>It is up to the officials to enforce the rules. If the referees
>didn't notice the extra man, blame them, not Walsh. On the
>radio up here Joe Carr said it was a brilliant move by Walsh
>because there was so little time left in the game it would not
>have mattered if a penalty was assessed. But, of course, I am
>biased because I was not there and I am from Maine.

Frankly, it was brilliant if Walsh has the 'win at all costs'
attitude. Now, I'm not saying that the move was intentional.
I didn't see the replay. I wasn't at the game. I've heard merely
heresay. However, if it was intentional, as Tony and Joe Carr
seem to believe, then I think it's a shame. Walsh portrays himself
as a man of integrity and so do the Maine fans. To me, anyways,
Walsh comes across as very holier-than-thou. Maybe he's just
rubbed me the wrong way, I don't know. But if he did this on
purpose, it only reinforces my feelings about him. If he didn't
do it on purpose, then I don't know.

I think it's shameful to euphemise cheating by calling it
"brilliant". College hockey and its fans have prided itself
on not the fact that that sort of crap is not very widespread
like in football or basketball. Let's hope that a) Walsh's act
was unintentional and b) that no one will try to downplay the
cheapness of it, if it was intentional.

>However, I really hope you realize the severity of your alleg-
>ations because, believe it or not, Walsh and his staff read
>some of hockey-l's postings.

I know that people in contact with Joe Marsh certainly do. :)

>You should know better than to post such serious allegations
>without having substantial proof. You put Boston University
>in a bad light.

Perhaps, but Tony is no more an official spokesman for BU as
you are for Maine or I am for Clarkson and you know it. That last
sentence is perpetuates an incorrect myth that Hockey-L'ers are
official spokepersons for their schools. 99% (or so) are just
fans.