Sender:
From:
"S Christopher - Dean, Behav Sci, Hum Serv & Educ" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 1994 17:08:23 EST
At least two other former WCHA players are in this year's games at
Lillehammer.

In addition to Mark Beaufait of Northern Michigan, Brad Werenka, who
played with the Wildcats--and was the "offensive defensive star" on the
1990-91 national championship team--is on Team Canada.  Also, Eric
LeMarque is on the French team, and Phil DeGaetano is playing for Italy.
(I have to confess that I don't know how long ago LeMarque and DeGaetano
played for NMU; could it possibly have been back in the 'Cats' CCHA
days?  That seems doubtful, though, given my understanding of how many
years ago the team changed leagues.)

On another note, with all due respect to fellow NMU fan Brad Cuyler, I
don't think the Wildcats play the last two weekends was bad at all, and
I certainly don't anticipate a "long weekend at Lakeview for the series
with Wisconsin.  Not saying we'll win or sweep, but certainly don't
anticipate any dreary drubbings.  As Brad noted, the 'Cats were
decimated with injuries in the last four games, particularly the last
one with Alaska Anchorage, when Greg Hadden, Justin George, Steve
Carpenter, Garret MAcDonald and Shayne Tomlinson all were/went down.  In
addition, Karson Kaebel was lost last Saturday night to a VERY stupid DQ
(deserved, too).  Kaebel will miss the entire Wisconsin series, too,
since it was his second DQ of the season.  I think that's the kind of
thing for which a player deserves a pretty severe reprimand, seeing how
avoidable it is and how much it hurt his team.  Despite the short-handed
nature of the team, the 'Cats split both series, winning games each
weekend reasonably comfortably on Fridays and losing (essentially)
one-goal squeakers on Saturdays (the final St. Cloud goal in the 6-4
Huskie win two weeks ago was an empty netter).  In fact, the 'Cats
believe they tied last Saturday's game with Anchorage, on a play in the
final three minutes when it appeared to many the puck had crossed the
Anchorage goal line but the goal judge didn't turn on the light and the
referee's sight line was poor.  Even my wife, who is not particularly a
rabid fan, wanted to see the replay (but we both fell asleep before the
TV rebroadcast got to that point, about 2 am).  Brent Riplinger is
quoted in the student paper this week as having said he had a clear view
of the play from behind the net and that it was a goal.  Oh, well.  The
point is the 'Cats were in all of the games until the end.

I think a lot of Wildcat fans tend to forget that the WCHA is extremely
balanced this year, and that Northern LEADS THE LEAGUE IN BOTH SCORING
AND DEFENSE, AND YET WAS AVERAGING ONLY ABOUT ONE MORE GOAL "FOR" THAN
"AGAINST"!  So, naturally, when a team loses several key players, you go
from winning a lot of one-goal games to losing a few.  (OK, I have to
admit I don't know the most current stats; possibly the 'Cats have lost
their first place standing on offense and defense in the WCHA with the
results of the Anchorage series . . . )

MacDonald will be back to face the Badgers, and the student newspaper
(distributed Thursday, so presumably printed mid-day Wednesday) said
Carpenter and Tomlinson might play, "but . . . that won't be decided
until after practice today." If Carpenter and MacDonald are back it will
make a world of difference for NMU.  It's bad enough that their
offensive sparkplug Hadden seems lost for the season, but they just
can't afford to have their other two senior captains, both critical to
the defense (and in Carpenter's, case, to the offense), out as well.
Here's my thought for the weekend:  it's time for Mike Harding, Brent
Riplinger, and Jason Hehr to have the series of their careers.
(Incidetnally, especially for you Minnesota folks, I need to note that
Steve Woog lately has played the best of his career here, and is
starting to score goals, too.)

Last weekend Rick Comley commented he could dress only 18 players, and
"that's really bad when you're in your own building!"

I can guarantee one thing--Lakeview will be full this time, and it will
be LOUD.

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  [log in to unmask]                        *
 *  CCHA League Champions, 1979-80/1980-81               ****         *
 *  CCHA Playoff Champions, 1979-80/1980-81             *    *        *
 *  WCHA League Champions, 1990-91                     *  GO  *       *
 *  WCHA Playoff Champions, 1988-89/1990-91/1991-92   *        *      *
 *  NCAA Division I National Runnerups 1979-80        * 'CATS! *      *
 *  NCAA Division I Final Four 1980-81                 *      *       *
 *  NCAA Division I National Champions, 1990-91         *    *        *
 *  NCAA Division I Final Eight 1991-92/1992-93          ****         *