From:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:08:43 CST
I actually got to watch both games...on MSC!  The DSS feed was blocked.
The big dish was weird....it was blacked out for the second half of every
hour.  But the bar-owner was a really cool guy who knew some tricks.  He
sat us right by the satellite control, and every time it blacked out, we
changed the channel, and then brought it back up.  Each time, it took 2-3
minutes (or longer) for the blackout to return.

Being an "Easterner", I must object to some of the comments passed on
about the Western Regionals:

> First off, I just have to ask who thought that "Give My Regards to
> Broadway" makes a good fight song?  It almost made he happy to listen to
> the MSU band in the evening game.

What can I say, it works!  Yes, its the same tune, but with different
words.  The title of the Cornell fight song is "Davy".  (and, BTW, if
you recognize that tune, you should hear the Cornell Evening Song.)

> For a team that seems to rely on garbage goals, it was odd that the Big
> Red don't seem to set a forward up in front of the net.  Everyone spent
> most of the time on the perimeter.  Even when they were digging for the
> puck on the boards, no one was set up to take a centering pass.

You don't understand the game if you think Cornell was relying on "garbage"
goals.  All year (and several before), Cornell has played faster teams.
They don't have Hobey candidates who can dazzle you with their soon-to-be-nhl
moves.  Instead, they play with heart.  Dump and chase.  Work the puck until
you get an opportunity.  This was the second time I saw Miami play Cornell,
and I'm still impressed at how quickly they can move from defense to offense.
Cornell's strategy was to play a clean, hard-hitting physical game to keep
Miami from utilizing their speed advantage.

> Repeatedly, Cornell turned down odd man rushes in order to go off on
> line changes.  I really think that you ought to push a 2-1 a little harder
> than taking a shot from above the face-off circle and peeling off.

It seemed like when Cornell went up 2-1 with about 10 minutes left in the
SECOND, they started to play pre-vent defense.  They kept defensemen back,
preventing any Miami odd-man rushes.  It's a very conservative defenseive
mindset, and it can work, but Cornell started doing it way, way too early.
I agree with you here: the best defense being a good offense.

> My other reaction to Cornell's style is that it's hard to watch....The
> energy level seemed low...solid checks were hard to come by for either
> team.

I completely disagree.  Cornell played a high-energy, hard-hitting game.
Just because there weren't 63 breakaways doesn't mean the game was "low-
energy".  I think this game showed why ECAC defensive stats are generally
near the top of the list.

> North Dakota - Cornell

How many things did the Big Red have against them for this game?
  - UND was fresh
  - UND was home team
  - UND saw Cornell play Saturday, and was able to match lines

  - UND is a better team.

> Cornell came out and tried to do the same thing to the Sioux that they
> had done to Miami.  While they did manage to contain UND for a long
> time, in the end it meant that the Big Red had no offesne to speak of.

It was a similar game to Saturday's, but with all of my above comments.
I was impressed with Cornell's ability to keep the game close for as
long as they did.  In the end, the biggest difference was that the Big
Red ran out of steam.  Once North Dakota went up 3-2, and especially 4-2,
Cornell was forced to try and play offensive hockey, where they where
frightfully outclassed.

> Their two goals both came at the expense of a North Dakota penalty kill
> that ranked near the bottom of the WCHA...

Cornell players were able to set up in front of the North Dakota net.
BIG mistake against any Division I team, especially in the show.

> North Dakota never trailed and, despite the fact that that they were
> unable to put Cornell away during the first two periods, I never felt
> like they were in much danger.  It was going to take a fortuitous bounce
> for Cornell to score at even-strength.  This came close to happening a
> couple of times.

I wasn't counting on it, but I did think Cornell stood a chance.  A good
bounce, a defensive mishap, and I think UND could have found themselves
scrambling to tie the game.

> Still I figured that after back-to-back games, the legs were going to give
> out before the game ended.  This is what happened, and during the last
> ten minutes, the Sioux produced a score that was fairly reflective of the
> difference in play.

I'd say that it more reflected thay Cornell's legs gave out.

> Jason Elliot was named to the all-tournament team.  I'd have to say that
> this mostly reflected the fact that none of the goalies looked
> particularly good this weekend.

Dude, you can't have it both ways.  If a team that's "so inferior" was able
to beat one team, and keep another at bay for 40:00, I think there might
be a reason.  Through five periods, Elliot gave up 4 goals.  The sixth period,
he played with no defense in front of him.  Elliot was hot.  No one can deny
that both teams had many, many chances, but couldn't score.  If his performance
didn't deserve MVP, I don't know what would.

A few more comments:

I was very impressed with the Cornell contingency at the game.  BTW, do Miami
or UND have a band?

In the Cornell-UND game there was a North Dakota goal that was waved off.
Apparantly, the puck was hit in with the top of the stick, not the blade.
Can someone clarify the rules regarding this?

Finally, congratulations to the Big Red.  The team that was picked to come
in seventh in the ECAC in the preseason poll showed that 1995-96 wasn't a
fluke.  Strong, steady, inspired play landed the team in second place in
the regular season.  Add to that a well-played tournament to successfully
defend their ECAC crown, a win over the #2 team in the CCHA, and a respectable
showing against the WCHA champions.  Cornell doesn't lose too many key
players this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are a top-10 team
again next year.

--
from: LTJG Kenneth A. Pavelle, NOAA
      NOAA, National Weather Service

      My Homepage:  http://www.abrfc.noaa.gov/kap.html

"Its hard to predict anything, especially the future" -- Yogi Berra