From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 07:58:00 PST
Pat Ellis writes...
>Just got my copy of the Hockey News....  Their a piece in their
>that claims that according to THN's "Source" (close to Walsh) Walsh
>has spoken personally with all three, and that he has convinced them
>to come back, saying that with them they can win another Championship.
>
>     Now what was unclear to me, was whether it was, come back this
>year and win, or come back next year (with a now seasoned team Plus
>Chris Imes...) and win the Championship....

The implication was that they would return this season.  The article said
that "Walsh convinced them a return would ensure a second straight National
Collegiate Athletic Association championship".

I've never met Shawn Walsh, and this particular comment isn't attributed to
Walsh, but to a "source close to the Black Bears".  However, this is the
kind of press that always paints Walsh as an arrogant jerk.

I'm not passing judgment on Walsh.  I'm sure his larger than life persona
has been blown up some by the media.  But just ONCE, it would be refreshing
to see him quoted as saying that he has a good team,  they'll be competitive
and they have a shot at a title, not that they're God's gift to hockey.

I wonder.  If Walsh were to say something sincere and non-controversial,
would the media bother to print it?  It wouldn't fit the image (P.T.
Barnum?) that has been created for him.

As for the possible return of Kariya and Ferraro*2, that would certainly
make Maine one of the favorites for a post-season HE title, which would get
them into the NC$$.  At that point, they'd definitely be considered a threat
to repeat.  I would like to see them in.  Any national championship
tournament is somewhat hollow if the defending champs aren't participating.

  John H
  U Mich