From:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 21:41:18 CST
Interesting item about Mass Lowell.  Thanks for posting that story, Mike.  The
University of North Dakota, after visitations to reservations around the state
by the UND President, input from alumni and public on-campus forums (open mike)
last year decided to maintain the nickname Fighting Sioux for the University's
athletic teams.  The "Blackhawk" logo that most of you remember from the North
Dakota hockey jersies is, however, gone.  That logo, FYI, also was on our
baseball team's caps, our wrestling warmups, our basketball shorts and our
cross country tops.  The official logo for UND is now a an Indian head, though
a less-detailed one than the "Blackhawk".  For those of you who don't know, the
hockey uniforms just say "North Dakota" across the front (similar to Bowling
Green in a sense).

Last fall, as directed by the UND President, a Task Force on Sioux Pride was
formed to come up with recommendations for ways in which the University could
educate, increase awareness and create sensitivity about Native American
issues.  I served on that committee.  After about six or eight meetings, we
came up with around 25 or so recommendations.  Some have been implemented such
as having pages in our football, hockey and basketball game programs for
stories on diversity issues or events.  Another that has been implemented is a
statement that is read over the P.A. at all UND home athletic events.  The
statement asks fans to respect the Native American heritage of this region as
well as respect the University of North Dakota.  Other recommendations are in
the works or are under consideration.

Anway, I thought some of you might find this interesting.  Feel free to write
me with your comments or questions.

Justin