From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 09:26:46 EST
Brad said, in part..
>                                                     ... I realize the
>referee can overide the goal judges decision ...

   For better or worse (usually better), the goal judge provides NO
   decisions.  Whether a goal is scored is determined entirely by the
   referee(s).  The goal judge SIGNALS what s/he thinks is a goal.  If
   asked, the goal judge can help a referee by telling him what s/he
   saw.  (I haven't done college games, but as a goal judge in youth and
   high school games, I have *occasionally* been asked such questions as
   "was it kicked in?" or "did you see it as a goal?" ...  but not
   often.  Many years ago in a HS tournament game I signaled a goal when
   both referees were at the other end of the rink and could not see the
   play.  I explained the play to the senior referee and a goal was
   awarded. That was very much as exception).

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]

P.S.  Even before the play I described above, I had great respect for
      that referee.  I often helped in those days on the clock or
      scorebook or as a goal judge and before *every* game that he
      refereed, he would arrive early and make it a point to talk with
      all of the minor officials.  Come game time he had a working
      relationship with each.  All referees should be so complete in
      their game preparation!