From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 19:55:23 MST
> From: "Cuyler, Bradley D" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Perhaps some people in hockey L could answer a very simple question I
> have concerning goal judges in the WCHA. I have seen some pathetic
> situations in the last 3 years with goal judges not mentioning where but
> I'm sure you can figure out at what arena and city I'm writing from. At
> one game last year the puck clearly went into the goal and some how slid
> underneath the padding in the back and 60% of the fans jumped up and
> cheared but play resumed. I have seen another situation where the puck
> hit the cross bar and landed on the ice well in front of the goal line
> but for some reason the trigger man turned the light on. I realize the
> referee can overide the goal judges decision, but my question is very
> basic. Does the WCHA certify goal judges, do they take a class or go to
> school like collegiate officials.
> Brad Cuyler

This won't answer Brad's question directly, but from talking with the
"minor" officials at the CC St. Cloud Games held at Air Force, I
discovered that they have many Jobs for Minor Officials, and the minor
officials are employed by a team.  The jobs consist of
1,2 - goal judge
3,4 - penalty box door opener
5,6 - statistics (shots, saves)
7 - clock operator
8 - announcer
9 - scorer

And I'd have sworn there was a 10th

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369