From:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 13:09:18 EST
Did anybody else hear about or see this.  I wasn't paying attention
initally, so the following is haphazardly pieced together.  I hate to post
information without the complete facts, but I think it is important enough
to let people know in case others find more info on it.  I hope I'm not
going to embarrass myself and find out there is another non-college team
named Huntsville somewhere.  I also hope I really did hear "Huntsville" when
my brain instantly engaged itself.  [I hope that was enough caveats incase
I end up making a fool of myself.]

I was shocked to see this on my local news last night.  I wasn't really
paying attention, so I really cannot claim to have all the facts straight.
I heard something about Alabama-Huntsville, looked up from my book, and saw
the highlights (lowlights?) of the brawl.

I hope I at least got the school right.  Apparently, it was a road game since
they were wearing their dark uniforms, and it was a hostile crowd that got
them going.  The crowd apparently was dumping drinks and other stuff onto the
players in their bench, when the players decided to jump over the boards and
begin fighting with the crowd.  Police came in to break it up.  It was kind of
humorous watching a policeman have trouble getting over the boards from the
bench area when the players with skates had no problem.

It really didn't look that bad of a fight (certainly not like the time the
Bruins went after Rangers fans in Madison Square Garden a number of years ago).
They weren't really wailing away at each other.  Nevertheless, this certainly
isn't the kind of publicity the game of college hockey needs especially after
a glowing comment by CNN the day before concerning the Beanpot tournament.  I
suspect the NCAA will be investigating this and handing down some severe
penalties.  I wonder if it will affect Huntsville in getting a bid to the
Div. II Championships.

I looked in the composite schedule to see who Huntsville played, but it didn't
show a game scheduled, so I don't know exactly the details.  If anybody else has
any information, please post.

Russell Jaslow         | Official Contact - Potsdam College Hockey|My employer
Eastman Kodak Company  |  Potsdam Bears - 1981 and 1986 NCAA Div. |has nothing
Rochester, New York    |   III National Basketball Champions and  |to do with
[log in to unmask]     winners of 60 consecutive games!     |my drivel.