From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 18:48:14 -0500
Larry Haag writes:
>Mike "I know my hockey" Machnik said that a precedent was set in the past with
>BU.  There is also a situation where the other team was not given the win.  I
>forget the year (1988?), but I believe when Plattsburg was stripped of their
>D-III Title due to NC$$ violations (sorry Heather :-( ), the position was
>declared void rather than give the title to the 2nd place team.  Granted this
>is a much more extreme situation, but I think this is how it was handled.

I believe it was 1987.  I see several huge differences between that
situation and Maine-PC.  Plattsburgh had won an NC$$ title and when
their title was stripped, the second place team was not declared the
champion because they did not win the title.  Likewise, in the early
70s Denver's participation in the NC$$ tourney was voided for use of
an ineligible player, but the other teams did not move up.  I expect
the same will happen with Wisconsin's participation in 1992 being
voided.

Anyway, we are talking about the outcome of regular season games, not
NC$$ games.  Regular season games have always been declared as wins
for the opponent, as far as I know, and the NC$$ has no jurisdiction
over those.  However, in the NC$$ tourney, the NC$$ has chosen to void
participation and not award the finish to the next ranked team.

So, I think it remains perfectly in line with precedents established
in the cases of BU, UNH, and other teams who have forfeited regular
season games to award the wins and points to PC.  You can win
individual regular season games by default or forfeit.  You cannot win
NC$$ titles that way.

Next question is, what happens with HE in 1991-92?  If these
guidelines are to be followed, UNH would certainly have a strong claim
to the HE regular season title.  I would not expect Maine's 1992 HE
tourney title to be taken away, however.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (12-14-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>