From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 10:16:17 EST
John said, in part ..
>I heard this morning on our Maine Public Broadcasting Station that Maine
>has forfeited the 3 games in which Jeff Tory played, all against
>Providence College. Further, Tory has lost a year of eligibility for his
>role in the incident.

   Tory lost this year because of the Providence games.  He has two
   remaining years of eligibility.

   Coach Walsh on the forfeits (paraphrased): "A coach hopes to help his
   team win.  We lost those games because of my mistake.  A coach should
   not lose games for his team.  I have apologized to the team for my
   mistake".

   Coach Walsh on Tory (paraphrased): I am committed to Jeff Tory
   obtaining his degree.

>It was not announced whether Providence would pick the wins up, ...

   It was unanimously voted (in a discussion that was said to have taken
   one half hour) that Maine would forfeit the six points and Providence
   College will gain the six points.  With this change, Maine and
   Providence exchange positions 3 and 6 in the Hockey East standings.

The Bangor Daily News today reported that while Maine considers the case
now closed, an NCAA "representative" said that while he didn't expect
any further action, the case was NOT officially closed.  :-/

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]