From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 1994 23:12:51 EST
Jeff said..
> Please do not barrage me with dissenting opinions, but IMHO, the hockey
> posts contained in HOCKEY-D are becoming entirely too long.  Couldn't
> we just keep posts to this so called Digest to include scores, polls,
> and standings.  One could spend all day reading through the hockey
> news.  ...

   What should and shouldn't be posted to HOCKEY-L is NOT a topic for
   discussion ON THE LIST.  The list is busy enough as is!  If you have
   comments about the list or suggestions for its improvement, please
   contact the administrator (address at end of this mail).

   HOCKEY-L/HOCKEY-D is The College Hockey DISCUSSION List.  Discussion
   is a major part of the list.  As long as an individuals' articles are
   respectful and reasonable in volume, they give us a great way to
   understand college hockey, its schools and fans.  I quote from the
   "Welcoming message" new subscribers get:

      "This list is for the discussion of collegiate ice hockey,
      including scores, team info, schedules, etc.  allowing fans to
      become more involved and knowledgeable about the game."

Since I have your attention on this subject ...

   We expect to have a new feature available next season that will help
   you obtain only the postings you want to see (I'd hoped to have it
   this season, but things weren't quite ready).  For this to work,
   authors will need to place a keyword or words in the subject line.
   We get to choose from a VERY LIMITED number of keywords.  If you have
   a keyword or two that would describe the whole of the HOCKEY-L
   postings that you want, please contact the administrator via private
   mail.  (We will also have the ability to specify everything EXCEPT a
   keyword).

   I'm not promising this new facility, but if the software seems sound
   and we can come up with keywords that subscribers find useful, you
   may expect to see it this summer.

   Perhaps it is implied in the above posting that the Digest should be
   moderated/edited.  That might suit some, but it is not feasible to be
   both timely and moderated ...  even if we could find a host site and
   editor.

   In the mean time, people that find the HOCKEY-L volume too much,
   should perhaps try HOCKEY-D (the digest distribution option of
   HOCKEY-L).  If you find the digest too much, then HOCKEY-L may not be
   for you.  You might find the Index option useful, but I doubt it.
   You may find that just pulling an occasional copy of the composite
   schedule(s) or league standings is right for you.

>   ...  I hope this doesn't qualify me to be banned from the list,

   Get real.  The get-rich-quick scheme posted several days ago caused
   the poster to "be banned from the list" (though he'll remember the
   action of his school more than that of your HOCKEY-L administrator).
   :-)

> I do enjoy keeping up with the teams.

   Drop the puck!

Yours in college hockey,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]