From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 1994 00:42:48 -0500
Ben Cloutier writes:
>UMass-A has posted a record of 13-7-0.  What is their record against
>Div-I teams?  Have they played any HE teams?

Right now, UMass is actually 14-7-0  and their GF-GA is 122-74.  They
have played five games against DivI Independents or conference teams,
going 0-5-0 with a GF-GA of 11-41.  The games were at Merrimack (2-8),
at SLU (4-5), at Princeton (1-8), and a pair at Alaska-Fairbanks (4-12,
0-8).  UMass is 14-2-0 against DivII/III teams and DivI Independents
who play a DivIII schedule like Villanova and Iona, GF-GA 111-33.

Merrimack is the only HE team UMass will play this year.  UMass will
face them again, hosting Merrimack at the Mullins Center on 2/6/94.
That game will be shown that night on tape delay on NESN.

Other than Merrimack, UMass has one more game remaining against a
full-time DivI team, this Saturday at Army.

I haven't been surprised at the way they've fared.  I expected them to
walk through most of their DivII/III games and struggle against the
DivI teams.  They've beaten some of the better DivIII teams like Salem
State and Bowdoin, and it sounded like they gave SLU a battle.  But
what they will be doing next season in stepping immediately into HE is
akin to what Union did in entering the ECAC and Merrimack entering HE,
although Merrimack had played several HE teams the season before.  Also,
after seeing their team this year, I think that UMass will enter HE
with a better team than Merrimack had in its first HE season.

BTW, you can get the UMass schedule and results by sending mail to
[log in to unmask] with the command GET 9394TSCH MASS.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (9-12-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>