From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1993 13:01:40 -0600
Justin Doherty writes:
>I got back on to hockey-l about 10 days ago, so if this has been discussed,
>I apologize.

Welcome back!

This has come up a couple of times, but it's still confusing.

>Anyway, the HE office said Maine's record
>had not changed and that there were no forfeitures and that the AP story was
>incorrect.

On the day that Maine announced the suspension of Walsh, I spoke with
HE acting commish Bob DeGregorio.  (Did you call the HE office in Maine
or in North Andover, MA?).  He basically said that any issue
regarding Maine's record would not be resolved until the entire
process had exhausted itself.  Since Maine was still appealing the
decision, and I believe that has not been resolved yet, DeGregorio
said it wouldn't be right for the league to act prematurely.  That
seems to make sense - what if the league announced that Maine would be
forfeiting the 3 PC games, and then Maine (unexpectedly) won the
appeal?  HE is simply standing up for the best interests of its
members, as it should.

However, Maine has already announced its intention to forfeit the
games.  I understood that to be definite, but perhaps Maine is also
reporting its record as 9-6-1 because they are awaiting the appeal
outcome, too.  So this confuses things more.

I am uncertain yet as to whether Maine could forfeit the games but PC
not receive the additional six points in HE play.  That seems to be a
bone of contention among other teams who don't believe they should be
hurt by PC receiving six points they didn't earn on the ice.  It would
allow the Friars to vault from 7th to 2nd.

>Then, today I was talking with Minnesota's hockey SID and he told me that
>Maine's SID office has the Black Bears at 9-6-1, not 6-9-1.  I'm just
>wondering
>if someone involved in Hockey East might be able to shed some light on these
>discrepancies.  Is Maine 9-6-1 or 6-9-1?

Maine is also confusing people by counting the Acadia tie some weeks
and not counting it other weeks, it would seem.  In the 12/6/93 HE
press release, their record was given as 8-3-0, and so I changed the
Acadia game to an exhibition.  Now it looks like they're counting it,
if they say they're 9-6-1.  If anyone can resolve this for certain,
please do...
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (7-7-1) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>>