From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 14:33:01 -0500
>Maybe I missed the point, in what way are Div3 schools treated unfairly? Div I has
>a set of rules that are enforced against Div I schools, Div 3 has a different set
>that are enforced on Div 3 schools.  If a school can not operate its program under
>one set of rules, it can always try to change divisions.  You might argue that these
>rules are silly, or too strict (I would) but as long as they are enforced equally on
>all programs operating under that set of rules (I _won't_ argue that :^>) then unfair
>it is not.

Please also keep in mind that these rules the NCAA enforces are not
concocted arbitrarily by some shadowy outside entity. The rules are (more
or less) enacted by the institutions to which they will apply. If the rules
are silly, or too strict, that's because the institutions themselves voted
themselves some silly or too strict rules.