From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1993 17:19:21 EDT
     Introducing...

           OlymPuck - The Olympic Ice Hockey Discussion List

Okay all of you hockey nuts out there, we're (I'm?) really going to do
it.  After conversations with Wayne it seemed reasonable that we set up
a separate list to discuss Olympic Ice Hockey.  During the last '92
Olympics there was a good deal of discussion concerning the Olympics on
Hockey-L, and in the interests of efficiency and focus, it seems
reasonable to start a distinct list.

The focus of the OlymPuck will be Olympic ice hockey.  I'd like to
interpret that in a broad way so as to include the actual competition,
players, teams, and statistics but also the interaction between Olympic
hockey and college as well as NHL hockey.  Moreover, as women's ice
hockey prepares to make it's Olympic debut, I'm sure there will be
discussion on that subject.

Now that the college championships are over, we need something to talk
about, right?  Well, the '94 games are right around the corner and no
doubt teams will be forming over the summer.  So here's your chance to
talk some more hockey!

Signing on to the list is precisely like signing on to Hockey-L.  Simply
send mail to [log in to unmask] (internet) or LISTSERV@Maine
(Bitnet) and in the *body* of the letter put

SUBSCRIBE   OlymPuck   your_name   favorite country(ies)

If you wish to get simply a digested compilation of the day's
traffic on OlymPuck, that is just one piece of mail rather than
each individual message, add a second line to your subscription
letter:

SET   OlymPuck   DIGEST

Shortly after you subscribe you should get two messages.  The first
acknowledges your subsciption to the list.  The second is entitled
"Usage Guidelines" and is an introduction to the list that I wrote
(stealing blatantly from Wayne's welcome to Hockey-L).  After that
I hope to see the messages flowing...

If OlymPuck turns out to be only half as successful as Hockey-L, I will
be pleased, and if (with your help) I can do a third the job Wayne does,
I will be pleased *and* astounded.

With best wishes,

Charlie Slavin              [log in to unmask] or Slavin@Maine
Adminstrator for OlymPuck - The Olympic Ice Hockey Discussion List
Department of Mathematics
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5752
USA