From:
Matthew M Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew M Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1993 08:16:18 CST
Okay now that the seedings have been out for a bit here's my thoughts.

For the past 10 years the WCHA has had the strongest showing in the big
show, followed by the CCHA and the ECHA, in fact in that time the WCHA
has had 11 of the top 30 places in the NC$$. In fact only once in the past
10 years has a WCHA team failed to make the top three. (see below)
This year the WCHA has suffered in the seedings for two reasons
1.  Parity in the WCHA is very evident,making no games gimmes.
2.  Minnesota forgot to attend their own tournement, bringing down
    the ratings for the league(It was an easy target, I know, but look
    at them now).

I guess we'll have to see who wins to really find out who's the best.

My last observation involves Northern Michigan and UMD.  UMD, WCHA champs
went 7-2-1 in their last 10, only losing twice and tieing to NoMich, but still
fail to impress the critics with a higher seed.  Now did Rick Comley say
to the CCHA 'Hey we'll give you the top 3 west seeds if you let 4 WCHA
teams in'?  Come on, 3 CCHA better than all the WCHA teams?  We'll find
out soon if I have to eat my words.  Good luck to all.

Year     Winner    Runnerup    third
1983     Wisconson  Harvard    St. Lawrence
1984     BowlingG   UMD        North Dakota
1985     RPI        Providene  UMD
1986     Mich St    Harvard    Minnesota
1987     North Dak  Mich St.   Minnesota
1988     LSSU       St. Lawren Maine
1989     Harvard    Minnesota  Mich State
1990     Wisconsin  Colgate    BU/BC
1991     No Mich    BU         Clarkson/Maine
1992     LSSU       Wisconsin  Mich/MichSt

WCHA     4          3          4
CCHA     4          1          2
HE       0          2          2.5
ECHA     2          4          1.5