From:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1993 11:36:59 -0500
Whew!  It was great to be back at Yost.  Saturday's game was my first
Michigan home game since the end of January.  Spring Break and road
trips caused by absence...

It was great to watch the final game for the Michigan Seniors - six
young men whose presence at Yost will not be forgotten for a long
time.  Saturday's game was, IMO, rather fun to watch.  Michigan's
David Roberts and Mark Ouimet were absolutely perfect -- with seom
beautiful give and go's that pro's couldn't have done better.  If
those two play anywhere near as good together as they did Saturday
night, there will be no stopping the Wolverines.

John pretty much summarized the game Saturday well, so I won't add
too much.  Yes, Notre Dame's Bankoske's dive was worthy of a spot on
the Notre Dame Diving Squad -- I got a kick out of watching John's
White Board flash up the judge's scores.  You even had a little
conversation with Mr. Bankoske at that point didn't you, John?

There were typical phantom calls and no-calls throughout the game.
On the whole, I thought refs (Steffi) Graff and Schug (who the hell
is he and where did he come from?) called a decent--well, average--
game.  The only no-call that really bothered me was Notre Dame's Ling
in the third crosschecked Michigan's Neaton in the back of the neck
and lower helmet -- it was pretty vicious and I'm sure Patrick's neck
is still sore.  But then, you can't expect the refs to see everything.

My special thanks and Congrat's goes to the Michigan Senior Class of
David Roberts, Mark Ouimet, Dan Stiver, Pat Neaton, Chris Tamer, and
David Harlock.  Coach Berenson honored them by putting only seniors
on the ice for the last two minutes of the game (maybe he should have
pulled goalie Al Loges and put all six on!?).  No matter what the
Wolverines do in the rest of the playoffs, these guys have really
made there mark in Michigan -- and college -- hockey.  A notable
point is that all six scored at least one goal in their last two home
games against Notre Dame.  I think that's really cool.

Enough of my rambling...Good luck to all those teams in their
playoffs and can't wait until we all run into each other at the
Bradley!

Roger L. Spurgeon                 [log in to unmask]   |_  \    /  _|
Michigan Engineering `94                                 | \ \  / / |
THANKS SENIORS  --  YOU MADE MICHIGAN HOCKEY AWESOME!   _| | \  / | |_
DETROIT -- HOME OF THE NHL's GREATEST ZAMBONI DRIVER!   |__|  \/  |__|
MUDDY THE MUD HEN SAYS WELCOME BACK ERNIE HARWELL!!!!      Go Blue!
"For lo, the winter is past, and the voice of the turtledove is once
 again heard in our land"              -Ernie Harwell