From:
larry latour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1993 22:05:59 EST
In a nutshell, Maine beat UNH 5-2, Paul Kariya was "shut out" for
the first time in his college career, Cal Ingraham scored his
40th goal (35th not counting the 5 against New Brunswick), and
of the seven seniors introduced on Senior Night, SIX ARE
GRADUATING.

Some stats off of the top of my head:

Scoring:  Maine   2  0  3  - 5
          UNH     1  1  0  - 2

Shots on Goal (unofficial):
          Maine   7  15 7  - 29
          UNH    12   6 4  - 22

UNH has a good skating team, and dominated play in the first period.
It was still a very even game through the second period, although the
shot totals don't show it.  Maine seemed tired near the end of the
second period, and showed it through a series of intentional icings,
getting caught in their own zone repeatedly.  I thought UNH would
come out flying in the third, but instead it was they who ran out of
steam.  Maine didn't dominate the third period, they controlled it.
A good tuneup for the playoffs....

Small details for the stat lovers:

1. Another Maine record bit the dust, as Paul Kariya went without
a point for the first time.  His point totals are holding at
84 (75 not counting the New Brunswick games).  I'll leave the
record discussion to the statisticians.

2. Cal Ingraham now has 40 goals on the season (35 not counting the
New Brunswick games).  An interesting quote from Shawn Walsh:
"If you summed up the length of all of Cal's goals, the total wouldn't
reach to the blue line".  A consummate "garbage man" (ah for those
Phil Esposito days).

BUT THE MOST IMPRESSIVE NEWS OUT OF ORONO:
Six of the seven seniors honored on seniors night are graduating,
 including hobey baker hopeful Jim Montgomery.  Who says Maine is a
hockey factory? (tongue in cheek).  Seriously, this put a special
cap on the season for me, and is probably more important to me
(bit your tongue!!) than a national championship.