Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 16:43:10 EST
1. A few years ago refs used to blow the whistle whenever a puck was
frozen against the boards... this was changed so that now the whistle
won't be blown unless a player is down on the ice in the scuffle
(I don't know about official rules... this is my eyesight talking)...
a. I've noticed a tremendous amount of time wasting in corners, to
the point where it seems ridiculous... how about some sort of
calls here... at least move the faceoff to an area disadvantageous
to the pucker freezer.
b. I've also noticed guys going down on purpose, just to get a call...
Has anyone noticed the "phenomenon of referee adjustment" here?

2. In the Maine-BU second game Saturday (Maine 6 BU 1) there were an
awful lot of matching minors being called... seems like a waste of time
to me... A BRILLIANT, RADICAL IDEA! How about a penalty limit ala
foul limit in basketball... you go over the limit per period (3? 4?)
and you get another minute tacked on... players MIGHT be less
likely to get sucked into "mini-scuffles" and refs MIGHT pay more
attention to true fouls... of course I MIGHT be wrong, but...

Larry Latour
UMaine