Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1992 15:00:00 EDT
Thank you to everyone that pointed out my faux pas in spelling Worcester
as Worchester.  Midwesterners like myself could get it right if they spelled
it Wooster or Wuster, as is should be.  :-)  Although, before Worcester is
changed something has to be done about IlliNOIS.

Also, thanks to Mike for recovering my fumble regarding what NC$$ hoop
action was taking place simultaneous the last season's Western Regional.
It's obvious how much I follow basketball.

Now, for Don's comments regarding the disaster:
  1. The centrality of the location wasn't too bad, but few normal
     humans enjoy traveling to Detroit.
  2. The quarterfinals should have been held at campus sites where
     attendance and spirit (and revenue!) would have been higher.
     The crowd at the Western Regionals was the lamest crowd I've
     ever seen.
  3. It shouldn't have been set up so that Michigan was competing
     in hockey and basketball simultaneously.  My choice was obvious,
     but it did cost hockey some fan support.

For those who weren't at the West Regional or didn't hear about it,
not only was the attendance poor (Joe Louis Arena looked like a
Cleveland Indians game in late September), but 1/3 to 1/2 of those
in attendance left the Michigan-NMU game to watch basketball in the
JLA concorse.  Pathetic!

John (never been to Worcester MA) Haeussler
University of Michigan

P.S. The Western Regional was so poorly attended that my wife cheered
for Minnesota -- because she felt so bad that they traveled to
Michigan and no one (I mean NO ONE) was there to root for them.