From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1992 11:58:53 EDT
>...But (attention: hockey-l politically incorrect statement about
>to be made), college sports are first and foremost for THE STUDENTS.

Not to nitpick, because I think this is very important, but they are first
and foremost for the players, who hopefully are students. :-)  Otherwise
college sports wouldn't exist.  The large majority of the collegiate
sporting events that are held have few or no spectators attending.

Location, ability of fans to get to the games, etc. should not be the
primary concern unless you are seriously worried about the financial aspect
and there is a danger of finishing in the red.  The players and teams work
hard all year to try to reach a pinnacle that is represented by the Garden.
Many of them have never played there before and never will again.  This is
why such an importance is placed upon the games being held there, not because
it would be nice for the fans to have a weekend in Boston.

Now THAT is a hockey-l politically incorrect statement, but I believe it
to be true.

Still, if the ECAC decides that the financial aspect is important enough
that it needs to move to an arena where it can be guaranteed of a greater
attendance (after all, money from the tourney does fund other ECAC activities
which benefit other athletes), then that is its right to make such a decision
and I don't have any opinion either way other than to say that I'll miss
seeing the games since they'll be up against HE, where I will be.

>We old fogies are like Bush administration claims of doing
>right by the commonwealth: decorative and amusing, but ultimately
>irrelevant.

Kind of like a ceramic dog? :-)

>I oppose the NCAA Regionals for the same reason (and yes, I went to
>Providence this year and enjoyed it very much.) The primary purpose,
>both of HockeyFest and the Regionals, is to increase the profile of
>the sport. But when I watch what the High Profile college "sports"
>have become, I am thankful for hockey's obscurity!

I wish I could agree with you!  Compared to hoop and football, yes, it's
not as well known, but it sure isn't obscure any more.  The fact that
money has played such a huge part in the decisions made recently regarding
the NC$$ tourney demonstrates that to me.

- mike